Saturday, July 12, 2008

Vegetable Fried Rice

There is so much you can do with rice, so I thought why not fried rice? It gives you carbs along with veggies and it is very tasty.

I don't use eggs, I use egg substitute which is much less in calories. 2 eggs are 180 calories, and I use 1 cup of egg substitute which is only 120 calories. As far as I'm concerned anything I can save it good:)

I like adding some garlic to this mixture too. Just a tad bit. Or use shallots instead of onions.

If you want to speed up the cooking time and make sure that the fresh veggies you are using are cooked, steam them. It doesn't take that long of a time.

I use Trader Joe's fried rice that gets cooked in the microwave in about 3 minutes. I like using it because I don't have to add any butter, oil etc. And it takes only 3 minutes, could you ask for more?:)


VEGETABLE FRIED RICE

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked brown rice
1 (10 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables (or 2 cups fresh vegetables, chopped)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce

Directions:
In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and rice. Stir and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium and add vegetables and meat to rice mixture. Cook 2 minutes for frozen vegetables and 5-7 minutes for fresh vegetables.

Spread the mixture out to the sides of the pan, leaving space in the middle for the eggs.

Add the eggs, and scramble until cooked firm.

Mix the eggs with the rice and vegetables, then sprinkle with soy sauce.

Makes 8 servings
Per Serving:

Calories: 140
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 23.5 g
Protein: 4.6 g

No comments:

Search Box

 
Mr. Rebates