Friday, August 15, 2008

Spicy Turkey Burgers

Burgers are my number one dish while I'm dieting. It's not high in calories, and I prefer it to chicken any time. It probably is not good for you but hey, this one is with turkey, so it's not so bad:)

If you like your burgers really spicy add some tabasco to the mixture. I stay away from heat so I've taken it off the recipe.

You can prepare this same recipe using ground beef instead of Turkey. If you are using lean ground beef, the difference in numbers is not really all that much. Instead of 215 calories for the ground turkey, calculate 235 calories for lean ground beef.

As with any burger, if you can leave the mixture in the fridge for at least a half hour, you help let the flavors develop which always makes for a better burger. I usually fix a salad and clean up the kitchen while I let the burger rest.

I use my panini maker to cook them, which gives it a grilled look:) and it's easier.

If you serve with a bun, it should be an additional 100 or so calories, check the packaging the buns come in to have a more accurate calorie count. Depending on what else I'm having the rest of the day, I do go ahead and enjoy my burger with a bun. Enjoy:)

SPICY TURKEY BURGERS

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey, 93% lean
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch parsley
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients using your hands in a bowl for about 5 minutes. Do not overmix.

Cover and chill in the fridge for at least half an hour up to a day.

Make into 6 patties and either grill on a barbecue or use a pan to cook to desired doneness.

Makes 6 servings:
Per serving:
Calories: 215
Fat: 11 g
Carbs: 5.5 g
Protein: 22.5 g

No comments:

Search Box

 
Mr. Rebates